Monday, November 2, 2009

Mini Corn Dogs

I had my first corn dog at age 27. Is that weird? I don't eat red meat, but I had to try them at the Nathan's stand in the airport just to see how they really tasted. I was shocked at how good they were!
Well anyway, we decided we would make our own to see how they compared. Pretty good! I got a recipe from Better Homes & Gardens and made some small changes.

Here's what we did:

Ingredients

* 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/3 cupyellow cornmeal
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 4 tablespoons cold margarine or butter, cut up
* 3/4 cups whole milk
* 1 package (16 ounces, about 48) miniature frankfurters, drained and patted dry
* Ketchup and prepared mustard (optional)
* Cheese slices (optional)

Directions
1. In large bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With spoon, stir in milk until mixture forms a soft dough that leaves the side of the bowl.
2. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 4 to 5 times just until smooth. With floured rolling pin, roll dough into 14-inch round (about 1/8 inch thick).
3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Slice dough into rectangle pieces about 1.5 inch x 1.5 inch.


4. Place 1 frankfurter on each dough rectangle. Bring sides of dough up around frankfurter; pinch in center to seal. Place wrapped frankfurters, seam sides up, 1 1/2 inches apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet.
5. For a fun twist, put a thin slice of cheese around the hot dog before wrapping it with dough.
6. Bake corn dogs 12 to 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden.
7. Serve warm with ketchup and mustard (or just plain for people like me!)

Enjoy!

2 comments :

  1. O
    M
    G!

    my stomach instantly growled. looks amazing!
    -superaunt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful recipe for Homemade Corn Dogs! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails