Sunday, January 3, 2010

Fun & cheesy fondue

For New Years Eve, we decided to have our own little fondue party at home. I wanted to share two of our cheese fondue recipes that would be great for a party or fun night at home.

See below for our cheesy beer fondue, swiss cheese fondue, and ideas for dippers!

Cheesy Beer Fondue (adapted from Sandra Lee's recipe)

Ingredients

  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 (12-ounce) bottle lager beer
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 4 cups shredded Cheddar
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes while stirring constantly to make a roux. What's a roux? Click here.


Add beer and bring to slow boil. We bought a 6-pack of this lager and it was really good!


Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens to the consistency of heavy cream. (Doesn't look too good right now, but it gets better.)Add Worcestershire, mustard and cayenne and stir.

Add cheese 1 cup at a time, melting cheese after each addition. Stir fondue until it is smooth. Pour into fondue pot and it's done and ready for dipping! Scroll down for dipper ideas.
Swiss Cheese Fondue

Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound Emmentaller cheese, grated
  • 1/2 pound Le Gruyere cheese, grated
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon warer
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Grate your cheese. There's a lot more cheese than I thought!

Rub the inside of a large saucepan with garlic and place the pan on low or medium heat. Add the wine, heat until warm, but not boiling. Add the cheese by handfuls, stirring constantly until melted and mixture has the consistency of a creamy sauce. (Beer cheese is in the top pot and swiss cheese in the bottom one.)

Mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and then stir into the cheese. As the mixture thickens, let the mixture come to a boil once. Then remove and pour into a fondue pot.The final product...cheesy and delicious!


Some of our dippers included:

Boiled potatoes and broccoli
Cubed grilled chicken

Turkey Weenies

French bread & pretzels

Enjoy!

3 comments :

  1. I don't think I've ever had fondue before, but I really, really want to try it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love swiss cheese. I may have to make that second one, though they both look REALLY good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fondue! It's been a couple years since I made some and this reminds me I need to make it again soon. My favorite is the Swiss Fondue.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails